SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for an Alajuela 33.
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 05-08-2012
Re: Looking for an Alajuela 33.

I think the Alajuela 33 has the ideal layout for cruising with 2 kids, 2 quarter berths give everyone their own space without disrupting the salon etc. I sailed my 33 up and down the east coast twice along with countless hours on the Chesapeake and was always impressed with her speed & motion, she has a longer waterline length when compared to similar boats like a Pacific Seacraft 34 which makes a big difference. I've sailed lots of boats as a former broker in Annapolis and always walked away glad I owned the 33.

Known issues include many of the items listed by John V. I replaced the water tank which is failry involved as you have to cut up the cabin sole in order to remove. In addition I re-glassed the top of the holding tank, replaced rigging/spreaders, lots of electrical work.... The fuel tank which is located in the bilge always made me a bit nervous but I never had a problem. Other big project was having the rudder rebuilt. The core boat is built very well and most work/updating was due to old systems. I did notice some rot on the bottom insided edge of caprail which i never did address other than a fresh coat of paint.

Biggest problem is finding one!

All the best,

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome