SailNet Community - View Single Post - To trail it or second job to pay slip fee?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012

snider is on a distinguished road
Re: To trail it or second job to pay slip fee?

I've trailer sailed boats, had boats anchored out and had a slip for a couple of years. All have worked well because it fit my need at the time. I will say we used the boat a lot more when we had a slip, sometimes going out 2 or 3 times a week. It also depends on the size of the boat. If you get something 19 or smaller it really isn't so bad to trailer sail it, however when it's 100 degrees out it can be discouraging. If the boat is at the marina it's easy to hop onboard and go out for a swim. I don't mind paying dockage during the 10 month sailing season, but December/January, it's tough. We still sail those months but not more than once every other week or so. Maybe once a month. If we pay yearly we get a better deal. It really puts it into perspective when you write someone a check for $2,500 for your boat you only paid $2,900 for. We have a 22 footer now and I'm in the process of building a set-up where I can raise the mast alone with a winch. I think we'll get a slip for the month here and there but mostly just put it in for a few days at a time either at anchor or as a transient. Once we get in a little better finical shape we'll definitely get a year round slip again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook