SailNet Community - View Single Post - Issues with heaving-to
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Issues with heaving-to

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
I always thought that you heaved to by backwinding the jib, putting the tiller/wheel over hard & dropping the main.

Am I missing something??

Bob
I use that procedure, except I don't completely drop the main. Rather, I usually either just leave the main up, or reef it if it's really windy. I set the traveller off to leeward (with the mainsheet tight) and keep the jib (a genoa is usually too big) backwinded and sheeted "almost tight". That way the main, along with the rudder, acts to "weathercock" the boat into the wind a bit. If the jib fills and the boat gains a little headway the rudder gets some steerage and swings the boat back into the wind. The main helps by forcing the stern off to leeward as it catches a little wind. It takes a bit of trial and error to get the balance right. The trickiest thing for me was getting the rudder set just right. The rudder should be set to leeward, but not so far that it's always stalled: too much to windward and the boat will start sailing, making too much forward progress; too much to leeward and the boat won't turn into the wind until it yaws way to leeward, resulting in a back and forth yaw that's rather disconcerting.

You want the boat to slip sideways so that your wake is directly upwind. That way the "slick" of your boat's wake helps to prevent waves from capping and breaking directly to windward of your boat. The swell will bounce you around a bit, but without breaking waves things will be a bit calmer.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 05-08-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook