SailNet Community - View Single Post - Closing seacocks
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Closing seacocks

We have 20 thru hulls, with seacocks, that I can count off the top of my head. A half dozen or so more for three bilge pumps, underwater lights, etc. When we leave our boat for more than a run ashore, we close nearly all our thru hull seacocks. In particular, we close the raw water intake for the main engine and generator. If they broke, they would most certainly overwhelm the bilge pump in time. We also close all the waterline thru hulls, such as the sink drains as well as the intakes for the heads and other accessories. We can't or don't close 100% of our thru hulls, as we leave the dehumidifier on, which requires that we leave the air conditioning thru hulls open. The washdown pump also stays open, because it is very difficult to get to (not a good reason, but the truth and I worry about it).

When at anchor or the dock for any period of time, I will typically close the main and/or genset thru hulls, if not being used. I will leave the rest open, if we are only going ashore for a number of hours, not days. Otherwise, everything gets shut down.

I recently had an experience where it seems very possible that the yard mechanics ran my engine up without opening the seawater thru hull and killed the impeller. Ironically, they claimed they knew they had to open it, because we are "the only boat in the marina that closes it when we leave".

I found it hard to believe, not to mention being a better argument for why they might forget.

Nevertheless, let's sound off. Do you close your thru hulls when you leave your boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook