SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kent narrows vs. around Kent Island
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Kent narrows vs. around Kent Island

a. Stay in the Wye River; it's lovely and within quick passage to St. Mikes, where you would anchor for the day only. Personally, I don't like St. Mikes enough to stay there too long.

b. I've been through the narrows many times and think it is pretty cassual (draft 3.5 feet, but I never saw less than 7 feet). The mistake too many make is crowding the bridge. Since it opens on the hour (check the sched), I always wait back about 1/2 mile where it is wider and less crowded, and then slowly move up. I've had to wait over an hour before when I just missed; it was dull, but not difficult. With the engines at idle, I marked time.

But there is no way I'm going to recomend going both ways, for the expereince (). Kidding aside, that would be a good plan, based upon the weather.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook