SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat shopping: round two
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012
Wannabe

dmcMaine is on a distinguished road
Boat shopping: round two

I know. I don't post much.

Last November I came very close to purchasing an old pearson Triton that was apparently in exceptional shape for its age. At the last moment, the Admiral talked me out of it.

So. Six months after my last aborted attempt, I'm at it again.... boat shopping.

The basics are this:
We are a family of 6 (2 boys 15&8, 2 girls 8&6). While I do think we might want to do a full family daysail or two, I do expect that after the 'new hotness' wears off it will be primarily daysails, and occasional weekending, consisting of me with any of the children who stay interested in it. My prediction is that my two 8-year-olds will enjoy it. The others not so much. My wife isn't that interested in sailing, but is also not against it.

The sailing grounds are coastal Maine. We live near Bath, and a 15ish minute drive to two marinas (Robinhood, and Great Island) with others not too far.

Primary use would be daysails and weekending for most likely up to 4 with 5-6 on shorter days. Although eventually I would like to cruise downeast, penobscot bay, or even as far as the Canadian maritimes at some point in the future. Long-distance journeys such as bermuda, florida, etc. aren't really in the cards. There is also a very good possibility that I'll spend a decent amount of 'zen' time on board alone.

In my early 20's I did a decent bit of dinghy and beach cat sailing in the lagoon of Diego Garcia. Now in my early 40's, I am finally at a place financially where a boat is possible. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to sail since.

Since passing on the triton last fall, I've done quite a bit of studying. Later this month I also have a sailing course scheduled. (yay!!!) In the meantime I'm looking at craigslist, and yachtworld for an idea about what is out there right now.

As I see it, I have a few options. I could go with a trailerable (GMC Yukon as tow vehicle). But if everyone wants to sail we have problems. Plus my yard's layout makes parking the trailer "interesting". I could go larger, but when several drop out I now have a larger boat than I need. Then again a larger boat keeps the longer vacation plans in sight. So I'm still conflicted. I'm not really interested in dinghys. Maine's water is just a wee bit colder than the tropical indian ocean.

Back in the fall, I was looking at boats that split the difference, things like the triton, and other boats in the 27-30ft length with standing-head room in the main cabin. Something big enough for daysails/overnights, and small enough to handle on my own.

Budget isn't really fixed. Although ideally 'ready to go' under $20k is a goal. $30K a high end. But if the boat and deal were right, I could probably be OK going as high as $35k or so. Anything higher, and I'd probably have to look for a solo liveaboard, if you get my meaning. =D

So. There it is. I do greatly value the opinions of the Sailnet community. Any and all insight is very welcome.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook