SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat shopping: round two
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012
Wannabe

dmcMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat shopping: round two

Good points.

To be honest I doubt I'll face the 'everyone wants to go' scenario too much. I swear a large family is an awful lot like herding cats! My Admiral is very comfortable commanding from the home office, and my teen, who built a beautiful wooden skiff in a seventh grade extra program, is now firmly in the hormonal angst stage. So the normal thing I see is me with a couple of kiddos along 80% of the time.

@Captain- My 20-year sailing gap has been due to three things: job, babies, and debt. I took a new job a few years ago, my babies are all in school now, and as of last July I am completely debt free. I would say sailing opportunities are 3/4 of weekends, and if I snag a spot at one of the marinas 15 minutes from home, a possibe dinner sail (My work hours are offset on the early side...normally I am home by 4pm to handle winter after-school activities).

Actually now that I think of it. I'm sure I read advice in another thread along the lines of buy the boat that fits your everyday needs. Charter for the big trips. Might that be a good option? A single-hand capable boat that fits 4 of us, and if we want a full crew vacation then charter something big enough for that?

I'm not too keen on racing. Although who knows? We could try it and be hooked.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook