SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&c 37+
Thread: C&c 37+
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012

ScuzzMonkey is on a distinguished road
Re: C&c 37+

Well, the 37+ we had planned to see sold right before we got there. But it was immediately replaced by a 37/40 XL listed by the same broker, so we went to look at that instead.

It's in pretty good shape, appears to have been well-maintained and upgraded along the way. The owner happened to be at the boat when we got there so I got a chance to get a brief history of it from him, and it's basically been a two-owner boat. A fine example of the class. Might have had some oil leaks but the engine hours are a lot lower than most. The only thing that caused me any concern was some water around the base of a thru-hull in the head. Could have come from any number of places, but the thru-hulls on a cored hull are particularly frightening places for a leak, so that would be worth looking at hard in a survey.

Unfortunately, this one is outside our price range at the moment, about $30k more than the rest of them are listed at. Of course, the one we had originally planned to look at up there also started out that high, and came down over the course of the two or more years it was on the market. We don't really want to wait two years to buy, but we don't want to over-pay, either. So, the search continues! Probably heading to California next.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, I talked extensively with a couple of brokers up there about international transactions. Both had considerable experience with them, had a title company they work with on the US side, and have a system for handling everything. Apparently, you simply have to arrange to take delivery in US waters, typically at Blaine; you only pay the Washington State sales tax that you would normally pay on importing a vessel, no messing with HST at all. The only additional costs are the US title company and the delivery captain, and at least one of the brokers said they typically cover the cost of the delivery (not much anyway, from Vancouver to Blaine).

Last edited by ScuzzMonkey; 05-09-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Additional information
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook