SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shaving legs onboard?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Re: Shaving legs onboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
"marketing"

"It began with the May,1915 edition of Harper’s Bazaar magazine that featured a model sporting the latest fashion. She wore a sleeveless evening gown that exposed, for the first time in fashion, her bare shoulders, and her (shaved) armpits. Shocking at first, this soon caught on. At the same time a marketing executive with the Wilkinson Sword Company, which made razor blades for men, designed a campaign to convince women that underarm hair was unfeminine. By 1917 the sales of razor blades doubled as women conformed to this feminine stereotype of shaving under their arms."

Shaving History « Fluffy Woman
LOL. Thanks for this! Seriously.

That said, I don't shave. And I run around in shorts and tank tops all the time. Then again, am not really "hairy" so to speak, and never have been. In any event, back when I was falling for the feminine stereotype... or rather regularly wore hose for work, I used a depilatory. Nair, neet/veet, whatever. Primarily bc I hated razor burn, and those always left my skin very soft. So... if I did feel the urge to "shave" while aboard, I would use the depilatory. Anyway, that's my 2˘, fwiw.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook