SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kent narrows vs. around Kent Island
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Kent narrows vs. around Kent Island

I don't get all the hype about St Mikes being so expensive? Sure, if you stay at the Inn at Perry's Cabin or take a transient slip at one of the town marinas it gonna be $$$...but that hasn't been my experience and I have been visiting the town since I was a kid.

At least during the high season, you don't go to there if you want peace and quiet? You go there to eat out (there are/were a few great places to eat), walk the town, be around people, enjoy the maritime museum, see one of the shows such as the wooden boat show in the fall, etc...

Its a great stop to restock on supplies as the Acme is a short walk from the docks. The people at Higgins Yacht Yard/Marina are always very friendly and helpful. In fact, several years ago (prior to Windgeist) I had to purchase a starting battery from them, they were about to close, but they found one for me and charged me no more than what I would have paid at an auto store. I've purchased ice from them several times, they let me fill my water tanks and empty my trash with the purchase of a few bags of ice, how is that expensive.

Are sailors really that cheap?

Oxford is great visit! (almost bought a bed and breakfast there many years ago). It has a totally different personality than STM. Be sure to stop in and see Cutts and Case boat builders while you're there. Good crab house there right on the Tred Avon, cant recall its name though? They have slips you can use while dining.

Anyway, I don't want to go off topic anymore than I already have

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 05-17-2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: lol...i spelled piece instead of peace
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook