SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat shopping: round two
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012
Wannabe

dmcMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat shopping: round two

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
- Buy a seaworthy but not beautiful boat in the 27-30 foot range for whatever price you can pay with little or no debt, with the understanding that you're on a two-year trial. Based on your estimated crew size, you won't have very many times when everyone wants to go at once. If two years go by and you're still sailing and still married (), and a few of the kids are still interested, you can trade up for bigger and/or more beautiful. Or sell and get out if otherwise.

- Trial or no trial, a 27-30 footer might be a good compromise between how many you can carry vs. how many you realistically will carry on a typical trip.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm coming to a similar conclusion. Try to minimize the investment, and trade up later if necessary or sell in the worst case. 27-30ft should work fine 90% of the time.

So perhaps something along the lines of
1965 Tartan 27 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

or I see this, but I don't know anything about this boat, and southwest harbor is a little bit of a hike to get to.
1967 Niagra Hinterholler Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I also know Sabre is a Maine builder, and generally well regarded.

Of course there seems to be a glut of mid-teen to lower-20's thirty footers out there.

I seem to be a sucker for older boats with classic lines. Well, old classics and lesser-known cult favorites. Don't even get me started on ketches and yawls. They are in the "in a perfect world, I would" category. (edit: meaning that I'm not really considering them...just absolutely love the idea of them)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook