SailNet Community - View Single Post - Closing seacocks
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Closing seacocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
I closed all primary seacocks only when I leave the sailboat for a few days or so. (Engine intake, head, sinks, etc..). I am not concern with the seacock as much as a hose or clamp. My bilge pumps wouldn't have chance.
Early last year the Marina moved our previous sailboat, Pearson 35 and never open the engine seacock, and burned up the impeller. They indicated that everyone in the slips leaves their engine intake seacocks open. They made me think that I was paranoid... but I still closed them.
Same story from my marina, which is why I decided to ask this question. Although, they've tried to claim that the unique approach is why they would be so aware of it. While I'm admittedly surprised by how many leave their seacocks open, it certainly isn't everyone here or at all statistically possible that is the case in either of our marinas.

What I've further considered since starting this whole analysis, is their story itself. I've begun thinking that I've only had them work on my engine exactly ONCE, while in the water, and that was a year earlier. Everything else has been done over winters on the hard.

Their story stinks. They ran my motor with the seacock closed. I'm becoming more and more convinced every day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook