SailNet Community - View Single Post - Closing seacocks
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Closing seacocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
I closed all primary seacocks only when I leave the sailboat for a few days or so. (Engine intake, head, sinks, etc..). I am not concern with the seacock as much as a hose or clamp. My bilge pumps wouldn't have chance.
Early last year the Marina moved our previous sailboat, Pearson 35 and never open the engine seacock, and burned up the impeller. They indicated that everyone in the slips leaves their engine intake seacocks open. They made me think that I was paranoid... but I still closed them.
I would have told them to go screw themselves. THat's insane. That may be the largest intake in your boat! If that blows, I seriously doubt any cmobination of bilge pumps would keep up.

The simple habit and rule (to tell you marina) is to put the kys to start the engine on the Thull for the engine intake. No excuses then. Seems to me the extra couple minutes to find and open the THULL is a lot cheaper and less involved than raising a sunken boat. Course, maybe they don't make as much money that way??

I have been in more marinas than I can count and I have never in my life had one tell me to keep my Thull open. Wow.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook