SailNet Community - View Single Post - Islander 32 Mkii
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012

aquamanhf@aim.com is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Islander 32 Mkii

capt Scotty and SailXLY 32,

Been away fr awhile but I found out that I have Mk II, tall rig and shoal draft. The previous owner gave me some photos of it out of the water and I snorkeled under it to check for damage and zincs.

I found a website somewhere that gave detailed descriptions of each model but alas, I had a hard drive crash awhile back and all my bookmarks went away. I did have everything backed up but my bookmarks didn't copy over somehow.

After working almost all winter and into spring I finally pushed the starter button and voila, t started. Yee Haa. I found parts at Hansen Marine steve@hansenmarine.com. I also found a raw water pump replacement by calling Johnson pumps and talking on the phone with them. I had to replace the complete exhaust system and a mixing elbow from an ONAN. fit right in.

I relocated the sea strainer and racor and replaced all the rubber hoses everywhere. (hosectomy). I drained all the old fuel that has probably been in there for 8 years and used an outboard gas priming squeeze ball to prime the whole system. worked great. I just kept squeezing until I heard fuel drip into the tank from the return line. I also replaced the thermostat with one from the local auto parts store. Fit right in. I only put 2.5 gallons of new fuel in the tank so that the filters could clean out the remaining fuel and gunk. I will run that several times and keep changing the filter until I'm happy that it is scrubbed the best I can.

We are presently in North Alabama on the Tenn river and plan to spend the summer here again finishing out the rest of the boat and maybe go all the way up to Knoxville, Tenn. Then down the Tenn-Tom waterway to Mobile bay and points further.....forever.

Already looking for a different boat though. This one is just fine but we think we might like a motorsailor since we are seniors and should start restricting our sun time.

Good luck all.

Harry and Barbara
travelpod.com/members/my-house
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook