SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Hole - How to Choose
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Hurricane Hole - How to Choose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney777 View Post
A bayou, a river, and strong trees or no trees around. Tie one end of boat to land(trees as I/we did), and other to TWO ANCHORS).....And LUCK. .... My sailboat and others survived in a direct hit area by hurricane Ivan (140 mph winds). ... But some boats were blown up into trees and on land. Other areas the Storm Surge lifted boats up and deposited them on land or restaurant parking lots. I prefer to be near a vacant land area where waves can't build. Also, don't stay on boat(sorry but some people think they should)...
Match up with another boater or many boaters and help each other tie up to shore, move anchors away from your boat at a distance and angle from your boat. Also, helping each others motor out to your boat before and after the Hurricane . Thieves may visit boats and houses after the hurricane hurricane., so you my want to live on your boat afterward.

Of course try to put alot of room between you and other boats, and have a way to travel back and forth. Have proof you own the boat with you to show the National Guard & police when you want to get back to your boat !
Absolutely! Great reply.

Let's me say what I have seen. Many boats will sink an most will drag. How do you avoid a getting caught up by someone elses boat? ancohring away from everyone else and a lot of luck.

I think finding a hole or a river is the best if you can especially get deep in the mangroves. This rules out many boats becuse of their draft. Protection from wind on all sides is great, but it is probably the Storm Surge that will get you. Account for that when considering scope. WHen we rode out Gabrielle on the boat, I saw every bit of 4-6'... and that is nothing. But the waves from the gulf side and wind makes that much more treacherous.

It was mentioned to haul if you can. Boat US pays for half of this and will even help pay for a Captain to move your boat to get her hauled as I recall. Also, leave the boat. It is said there is nothing you can do in a hurricane if you ride it out on board. I dissagree. You can watch for chaffing and raisinglines. But there will quickly come a point when you cannot get off and you are stuck there and on your own. Most anyone that has ever done it swears they would never do it again. That includes me.

Another comment above is making sure you have ownership papers and ID. That is critical. After the storm goes through, assuming you evac'd, they locals law enforcement/Natl Guard will be checking to make sure you are a local or they will not let you back.

Ii wrote a long thread about Hurricane Preparation. Guess its getting close to that time of year again. And for all the hype, the real odds of getting hit head on by a major hurricane (or really one at all) is quite small.

Hope that helps.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook