SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another Excalibur 26
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: Another Excalibur 26

I hit some unknown keyboard combination that submitted my last post as I typed, I wasn't quite done.

The "lot of work" on stepping the mast can often be overcome by using "lots of leverage" instead of "lots of money". Due to our fierce winters most pleasure boats are hauled each year here in Maine.

Somewhere I read a thread about an owner who tied to a bridge with friends overhead to lift the mast in an attempt to save money. People called the police and reported a sailboat crashed or stuck on the bridge! It worked fine, but the police asked him not to come back.

I tried to imagine where this was (here in Maine) and could only think of the bridge to Cousin's Island, but that always has quite a current running under it. Later I found out that was the actual bridge he used.

I'd be afraid to do that bridge method, though I admired the guy for doing it - I'm a do it yourself type person. I wouldn't be afraid to step it with a gin pole or A frame and winches, if I felt I had a workable plan.

Does it look like the tabernacle is hinged (gin pole would work), or does the mast drop onto it from above ( high A frame necessary)?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook