SailNet Community - View Single Post -
Thread:
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2001

snods57 is on a distinguished road
Howdy,

I recently returned from a vessel delivery (68'' ketch) during which I logged in 750 off shore miles: My first off shore passage. From the onset we experienced extreme weather conditions, e.g., consistently high winds and seas and a squall the just about blew the vessel out of the water with 45 k winds. Our crew spent the entire passage wet because every hatches leaked; several spent most the time feeling sea sick and one crew member appeared to have fractured his cocyx after a bad fall.

The original passage was to be from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Thomas. After we''d completed approximately 1/2 of the trip the boats motor came to an abrupt hault and couldn''t be re-started. At that point, the owner of the vessel decided to turn the boat around and head for the Bahamas where the boat''s motor along with other damage incurred through the passage would be repaired. The delivery ended in Abaco instead of St. Thomas but, as I see things, all''s well that ends well.

I''ve learned that sailing the Atlantic in November is not a thing for the faint of heart. It takes stamina, endurance, a sense of fearlessness and, above all, a sense of humor.

All that being said, I''m looking for future opportunities for off shore crew experience. If you''re interested, you can check out my personal page on sailnet. It''s listed under "Snods57". Email address is Snods57@AOL.com

Cheers,
Mary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook