SailNet Community - View Single Post - junk rig
Thread: junk rig
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Wow ! People do get quite passionate about their rigs , don't they ? :-)

In much the same way that I love the look of a timber gaffer but would not want to own one I also admire the junk rig when I see one. Having said that, even cruisers have to sail to windward every now and then and often this is to claw your way off from danger. For that reason if for no other I'm sticking with ye olde bermudan masthead.

Blondie Hasler did indeed spend many years racing and cruising with a junk rig but from what I've read that was as much to do with a desire to not have to go out into the weather as anything else. He is quoted as saying that in the first single handed trans atlantic he crossed the ocean without ever having to take of his slippers and dressing gown. Also, in terms of ease of handling, Jester was a modified Folk Boat of 26 feet.

Going into big boats there is a thing out there called the Maltese Falcon that is marginally bigger than a folk boat and has a modified junk rig on three masts. The last article I read about her noted than in order to tack they have to start the engines but she will do in excess of 25 knots on a reach.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook