SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Do you rig a gybe preventer for running downwind?

• Yes, we always rig one when going downwind

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Yes, we rig one for longer periods downwind, but not for short runs

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • We only rig one in the ocean, when there's a swell

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • We have a boom brake so don't need to rig a separate preventer

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • No, we never bother, we just keep our heads down

Votes: 4 8.5%

Poll about gybe preventer - when do you use one?

4K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Mjfossler 
#1 · (Edited)
I was wondering when everyone uses a gybe preventer. I was using a line from the boom to the bow and back, but got out of the habit. Now I'm thinking of installing a gyb'easy.

In the case of this poll, a preventer means a line securing the boom, or relocating the boomvang to act as a preventer.

#5 · (Edited)
Always I use a kicking strap to stop the boom from swinging. The kicking strap goes from mid boom to one of the scuppers.
My ship is a cutter and that boom is long, and if it rides and swings across, it will crash into the backstay. It happened once, at night, and it was not something I'd want to repeat. The ship was caught aback, and needed the motor to recover.
In heavy airs, I don't even risk doing the gybe anymore, but instead "do a granny" by swinging the ship right through the tack instead. It's bumpy, and slow, and noisy but the boom will not swing aggressively.

#7 ·
On customer boats I rig a preventer any time apparent wind is behind the beam. Always.

On my own boat I'm a little more relaxed but not much. I've been through more crash gybes (four in a single event) than I care to think about and it's worth the time to scurry forward and rig.

#8 ·
I have two small but strong dyneema lines permanently rigged on the boom. When we're in choppy seas with the wind pretty far aft I just take the line on the leeward side of the boom and secure it to another line I rig from the bow. Quick, easy and makes my life less anxious, especially if I have a relatively inexperienced helmsman on the wheel.

#10 ·
It depends.

Most boats I sail do not have boom brakes, but I really like them.

I go wing on wing only when I have to. I prefer to broad reach and gybe.

Coastal waters, flat seas - do not use one. I pay attention to the foresail as soon as the clew drops I head up a little.

Blue water - a boom end preventer rigged to the foredeck back to the cockpit.

I would never use a kicking strap / boom vang as a preventer; that is not its purpose.

Reactions: SVAuspicious
#12 ·
Looks like we're in the most popular category:Yes, we rig one for longer periods downwind, but not for short runs.

I've got to get our snatch blocks and lines and spend about 5 mintues rigging, which we typically don't do unless we're travelling and expect to spend a decent amount of time heading down wind with the autopilot on. If we're on a short run or just daysailing and are not using the autopilot, I find it is fairly easy to prevent a gybe with with good helm work.

#13 · (Edited)
We have a Wichard boom brake that I use when soloing. Last weeked, with a good crew and light winds, we rigged a preventer for wing-on-wing. So it depends.

I like the Wichard boom brake because it stays put and doesn't need any effort to use, and I don't have to leave the cockpit to use it. Preventers work better in very light winds, IMHO.

BillyRuffin has a premanent line on the boom. That allows you to set-up an end-boom preventer when your bom is already let-out. It's a nice setup - somebody earlier in the thread mentioned it too. You run a line forward from this boom line to a snatch block and then back to the stern clean. He really has a good setup.

But for now, the Wichard and occasional use of a temporary preventer works great.

Regards,
Brad

#14 ·
Brad,

That's interesting, as I have the Wichard Gyb'Easy in a box ready to install. I might take the same approach, using a preventer still sometimes.

For the Gyb'Easy, which installation did you do? I'm think of the one where you have one control line back to the cockpit, and the two ends of the friction line stay fixed to the shrouds. (or more likely, to padeyes I'll install in the deck)

#18 ·
Mark,

Not sure I know of another installation method besides running a line from the port midships cleat to the starboard midships cleat and looping it through the device.

Is there another option?

(I suppose we really used the preventer because I wasn't sure where the Gib'Easy was at the time. That and the experienced crew suggested a preventer. He probably didn't know I had the Wichard on board, errrr, somewhere.)

Regards,
Brad

#17 ·
On passage offshore, we used a preventer anytime the wind was on the quarter, and have been especially careful have one in place at night.

For coastal sailing in moderate conditions, it is all too easy to become less rigorous, even though its probably even more important when sailing casually with inexperienced crew and passengers.

Keeping it simple and easy helps make sure it gets done. So, on a new (to us) boat sailing in variable conditions with guests at the helm, we are definitely going over to a gybe-easy, planning to actuate it conscientiously anytime the AWD is on the quarter.

Annie
Crealock 37 #297

#22 · (Edited)
I use the Wichard boom brake. Used to use a "Rescue - 8 carabiner" but not as strong as the Wichard.
I do a lot of long distance sailing and the brake has saved my bacon a few times. The reason is that its permanently attached and therefore always ready to be applied.

I started using the Rescue-8 about 20+ years ago, after I was single handing and got knocked unconscious into the cockpit ... and the boat merrily sailed along for the next few hours.

Only problem with a brake or preventer is that one tends to keep the main up too long with additional sail area exposed/over-canvassed for the conditions ... a good way to break a boom if it 'dips' into the ocean when at the higher speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.