SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 21 Owners
Thread: Cal 21 Owners
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012

rjohnson is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 21 Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedNeck View Post
The 21 seems to be an odd little boat...sort of a black sheep in the Cal family. Just my style.

How many were even made?

I don't even know how many is alot...500? 5,000? 50,000?
They're not like cars...most people don't own boats...most boat owners don't have sailboats.
Exactly how many CAL 21s were built is hard to pin down exactly. Jensen Marine (aka CAL Sailboats) had 2 plants at the time that the 21 was in production, one in Costa Mesa, CA and one in Marlboro, NJ. They assigned sets of Hull#s to each plant, if the firsts digit is even, the boat came fro mthe East Coast plant (NJ) and if the first digit is odd, the boat is a West Coast (CA) built boat. The HULL# refers to the number of CAL 21s built, and for the boats built after November 1, 1972, that number was part of the 12-digit HIN. As I say, blocks of numbers were assigned to each plant, and they were used as boats were produced. Our boat was #285, delivered to us in March 1970 from the New Jersey plant. Because of the way Hull#s were issued, our boat may have actually been built before Hull # 199, or after Hull# 300. I am pretty sure that there were some hull#s in the 700s, but don't know how many boats in the 600s were built. Is everyone fully confused now?? Well, join the club! From 1967 to 1978 or so, many (but not all) CAL models were being built on both Coasts and the Hull# sets were set up the same as for the 21, even first number for East Coast, Odd first number for West Coast. That unfortunatelt makes it hard to pin down total number built.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook