SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pitfalls of trading up?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Re: Pitfalls of trading up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
What I'm finding really hard is keeping from upgrading my current boat more. Trying to balance new systems/comfort items for the current boat(I'll be in for several years yet) vs knowing that every dollar sunk into her won't be a dollar out on the sale is a tricky balance.
This is exactly my dilemma. I am trying to avoid spending a whole lot on upgrades, in that I do suspect I'll want to trade up in the next couple of years. At the same point in time, I am considering the tradeoffs.

For example, larger boat equals higher cost.

Primarily due to more equipment to maintain (i.e., inboard motor, head, etc). While my boat is (obviously) not maintenance free, it is extremely low maintenance. If my outboard motor goes, I replace that for a couple thousand, whereas if I had to replace an inboard, that would run in the ten to twenty thousand range. Moreover, besides higher bottom cleaning costs, there's cost of replacing zincs, packing the shaft, keeping the bilge as "oil and fume free" as possible as well as additional safety measures such as CO2 detectors, etc. Then, there's the head and dealing with pump-outs. Which would mean motoring over to the pump out station or hiring someone to pump her out at her slip. There is also maintaining and managing whatever else the boat is equipped with. And of course, the question of whether I'd actually be able to single hand a 30 footer. Which would, of course, require the running rigging to be run aft, auto helm, that sort of thing.

While the above are neither deal breakers or exhaustive, imo, they inform the sort of increased budget I would want to prepare for. Or, for that matter, whether I would want that increased budget. As it is now, while I try to live frugally, I also live quite comfortably.

There is also the bit wrt what I might want, out the gate, so to speak. For example, roller furling, single handed running rigging, dodger, fridge, head, etc. My guess is, the closer to my specifications, the higher the asking value. Otoh, in today's boat market, boats are still going for almost dirt cheap.

Btw, wrt slip fees. They'd be the same, as I'm already in a 32' slip, and do not plan to go over 30'. So, that's really a non-issue for me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook