SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012

Noordzee is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Salona 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hi, welcome to the sailnet and welcome to this thread. That is a coincidence...I mean your name: Are you Eric or are you sending cheers to Eric, the one that posted before you?

Beautiful boat eh! eh! I almost bought one. I give up not on account of the boat but because it was just a bit over my budget.

You say that bought it by the drawings last summer. Last summer I had already sailed the prototype

What keel do you have? What was your previous boat? Tell us more about the boat, particularly more details about that "fast, fast!".

The development of the Salona 38 was closely followed on this thread, I am very interested in what you have to say as well as several members, so please give us more details.

Hi Paolo,

Indeed my name is Eric.

My previous boat was an Enter 360 (which was an newer version of the more know Diva 355/35). The 'main' reason for buying another ship was the need of 3 cabins. Having four kids and dutch weather made the old ship a small place for 6. Moreover the Enter has 2 cabins and no beds in the saloon.

I saw your report on the Salona 38. I bought the Salona the weekend of the launch by Dean Barker.

Initially I had my mind set on a Xp38, based upon the initial pricing of the Xp44 I had an idea of what the Xp38 should cost. All in all the price of a Xp38 is way too expensive. In my mind at least 50.000 euro.

What I really like about the Salona 38 is that the deck layout is great, the hardware (winches, block etc) of very good quality (all Harken). It is well build and the NX2 hardware is also nice to work with. The only minor point the size of the bathroom. (I saw the one on the Xp38, but that one makes the saloon very small).

Although after sailing 300 miles give me a very good feeling, in terms of true performance I still need to measure, some speeds, one thing that needs sorting out is the headsail 106% of which the clew was too low. What I like is that the boat is very responsive. For now I've reached 9.8 on 60 dgrs app. in 16 knots and 12.6 on 140 dgrs app in 20-24 knots wind in (relative) flat water.

The Salona 38 I've got had a 'standard' hull and rigg and keel. So Iron keel, no vacuum infusion hull, no rod rigging.

That was for two reasons, at some point, you run out of money, and I gonna use the boat for 98% for cruising. However I did opt for Pentex (grey) sails.

This weekend I'm gonna try the modified headsail and the gennaker.

Regards, Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook