SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flourescent light fixture
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 05-14-2012
padean
Great Lakes Sailor

Re: Flourescent light fixture

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Considering the look of that fixture, you might want to take a look at Alpenglow Lights as a possible replacement. Alternately, if you are particularly attached to that fixture for some reason, you can send the fixture to Alpenglow and they can/will rewire it with their lights for a very reasonable cost. We installed two of their lights and have been very happy with the results and the performance of the lights.

FWIW
I second that. I also replaced several of my incandescent fixtures with the Alpenglow fluorescent fixtures for a very reasonable cost. Then have both low and high settings, and you can get on with a red bulb for night sailing as well. Very good for the price.

I agree that LED use less juice and have come a long way in the last 2 years (I have 4 LED fixtures as well), but they are not very good for "room" coverage like that shown in the photo, and are still pretty steep in price for what you get.

PDean
CS 34
Saginaw Bay, Michigan
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome