SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: Aspect 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I guess your are going to like this: The guys from Hamnen tested The Aspect 40 upwind against a 15 year old design, a boat that is a Pogo predecessor, in flat water with about 12K wind, this boat:

Now this is really creapy! I was actually going to post about the B&R 38 a few days ago, but I just havenīt gotten around to post about it yet!

In the mid 90s this boat was way ahead of itīs time in many perspectives and has some similarities with some of the modern boats discussed here. The guy who owns this boat (which is the only one built) is Jimmy, who also owns Airbender, an Admiralty 30 which I think you posted a video of earlier (also video from hamnen). He bought the B&R for this season and has been upgrading it during the winter.

This boat is very fast, it weighs only 3,300kg (was actually supposed to weigh 2,600kg), so the Aspect 40 has 33% more weight.

They were keeping up with the Aspect during this test sail with about 7,5 knots boatspeed upwind. They also did some downwind sailing and they were doing about the same speed as the Aspect, up to 11 knots in these light conditions. I guess itīs fair to say that both boats are fast!

In the first regatta of the year last weekend, both these boats attended. The Aspect actually beat the B&R with 02h13m18s vs 02h22m24s (not corrected) (http://lss.a.se/bodySidor/04_kappseg...asser_2012.pdf, see start 6).

As for being as wide as the JPK (almost), that probably only applies to maximum beam. The B&R is only 2,26m at the waterline:

If I think of some more well designed swedish boats, I will try to post about them before you do

Kind regards,
Mr W
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook