SailNet Community - View Single Post - San Juans; advice & suggestions
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: San Juans; advice & suggestions

There is a book for the San juans, can not remember off the top of my head, but probably is listed in the SJ guide sticky at the top of this area. that will tell you the currents around the islands, how they will flow, a base current speed that you will have to adjust based on a know current elsewhere. IE if the known current is 4 knots that day, the pass you want to go thru says 2 knots on the chart, but the conversion says if know is 4 knots, multiply by say 1.2, you know the pass you are going thru would be really 2.4 knot, or if a .8, then 1.6 knots.

There are some like Deception pass, that can have currents into the 8 knot range! One farther north, I believe into the mid teen range, with a few nature made waves that folks can catch on a surf board and ride for hrs on end. Obviously you better know when the slack is to go thru that pass/channel.

I would think from boise pulling a boat you will be some 8-10 hrs, a long day driving, stay in the boat at the marina either on the trailer or the guest dock. As you probably have an hour or two or three setting the mast up, getting launched etc. Do that the next morning, be off in the afternoon. James island other than getting out of where you launch, is across rosario straight, so currents either way, be it a flood or ebb, you are going across it to the first stop.

marty