SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1972 O'Day Mariner 19 (or old Rhodes 19)
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012

gpwil3847 is on a distinguished road
Re: 1972 O'Day Mariner 19 (or old Rhodes 19)

Launched the boat tonight, the running lights did not work, wonder if the battery was low, it is old, or is there is an issue with the mast - but no hot wires. I put a lanteren on the stern, raised the main, and in a very light evening air ran before the wind down to my dock, lowered the centerboard along the way and was over joyed to hear that hum, I know it is best to have it raised when running but wanted to check it out - workes fine! There was a small trickle in the port throughull fitting of the cockpit drain, I gingerly tightened it up with a pair of plyers did not want to cause a big problem were something catestrophic to occur. checked the bottom of the boat after an hour just about a quarter cup of water, will try some putty, and address this when the boat is out of the water again probably next week - the hull is not bottom painted. This compact little 21 footer is a joy to sail when everything works. Sails are a little dirty but still crisp. What a joy to be fully under the power of sail with no motor on the boat at all on a calm night. Should have some fun tomorrow! Have not had her in the water in about 5 years - 5 years!
life is so short why didn't I assess the centerboard long ago, now my wife's alzheimers is advanced, yet she wants to sail, I remember how we sailed all over Pensacola bay in this little boat I called the Dolphin (not creative at all for a name) in the early 90's when we were still newly weds, before we had children - sad to see where we are now, her mind failing and my heart breaking. She has her doctorate and taught nursing for years. Working on the boat is therapy for me. I learned to sail in high school at Cocoa Beach on the Banana River in an american Fiberglass Kingfisher, then Dad bought a Morgan 22 a very nice boat, I have always loved sailing but let things get in my way. Not any more. We are going to enjoy the time we have left.

Last edited by gpwil3847; 05-15-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook