View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Salona 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noordzee View Post
Hi Paolo,

Indeed my name is Eric.

My previous boat was an Enter 360 (which was an newer version of the more know Diva 355/35). The 'main' reason for buying another ship was the need of 3 cabins. Having four kids and dutch weather made the old ship a small place for 6. Moreover the Enter has 2 cabins and no beds in the saloon.

I saw your report on the Salona 38. I bought the Salona the weekend of the launch by Dean Barker.

Initially I had my mind set on a Xp38, based upon the initial pricing of the Xp44 I had an idea of what the Xp38 should cost. All in all the price of a Xp38 is way too expensive. In my mind at least 50.000 euro.

What I really like about the Salona 38 is that the deck layout is great, the hardware (winches, block etc) of very good quality (all Harken). It is well build and the NX2 hardware is also nice to work with. The only minor point the size of the bathroom. (I saw the one on the Xp38, but that one makes the saloon very small).

Although after sailing 300 miles give me a very good feeling, in terms of true performance I still need to measure, some speeds, one thing that needs sorting out is the headsail 106% of which the clew was too low. What I like is that the boat is very responsive. For now I've reached 9.8 on 60 dgrs app. in 16 knots and 12.6 on 140 dgrs app in 20-24 knots wind in (relative) flat water.

The Salona 38 I've got had a 'standard' hull and rigg and keel. So Iron keel, no vacuum infusion hull, no rod rigging.

That was for two reasons, at some point, you run out of money, and I gonna use the boat for 98% for cruising. However I did opt for Pentex (grey) sails.

This weekend I'm gonna try the modified headsail and the gennaker.

Regards, Eric
And mine is Paulo, not Paolo That is becoming a joke. I am Portuguese, that is the Italian way of saying it

Your boat really looks very nice and that sails are gorgeous.

Nice to know that this thread helped you to find a boat that you like and are satisfied with.

Regarding those speeds they seems good to me considering you are using a small 106% head sail downwind and that the boat is not the performance version. You mention also that there was no waves and that does not give any additional bonus in what regards surfing. I guess that also with 16K at 60º ap the boat can carry more sail than that 106% headsail so the 9.8K at 60º seems also good to me.

Even if those speeds are very good cruising speeds in any cruising 38ft I am sure you are going to do better specially with more adapted head sails for downwind sailing.

I tried the same boat Dean Barker tested some time before. It was a top specification boat with really top sails. There was almost no wind (2 to 4K) and we were sailing faster than the wind all time, making wind with the boat speed. I was quite impressed with the boat light wind capacities and we were not using a geenaker.

Keep us posted about your boat... and by the way, congratulations for a very nice boat. May you and your family enjoy many happy moments on it.

Fair winds

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-15-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook