SailNet Community - View Single Post - Barient 17 Service Question
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Barient 17 Service Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cktalons View Post
I'm so glad I found this thread. I need to grease my Barient 24 ST winches before I go out on my next sail, and it looks like plenty of retailers offer Gunk White Lithium grease, but it comes in a few types. Which type have you used to service your winches? This is my first time ever, ever, ever in my life to work on a sailboat winch, and I don't want to screw it up!
It's called Gunk general purpose white lithium grease for home, shop & marine. It comes in a plastic cup like a sour cream cup.

If you aren't sure it's the right type, pop the cap off and see if it's a yellowy cream colour and has a texture about like stiff yogurt.

P.S. Only do one winch at a time so if you get confused or forget how it goes back together, you have the other as a reference.

P.P.S. There is an older thread "winches useful life" that had a lot of good info on winch maintenance. It was last December.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 05-16-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook