SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pitfalls of trading up?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Pitfalls of trading up?

I would be reluctant to upgrade, if I was expecting to sell the boat. I would, however, be sure that repair was done to worn out items. This is especially the case for obvious aesthetics. As DRF said above, it tells a story to the new buyer about how well you took care of things that may not be as obvious. Worn out, broken, duck taped, jerry rigged, (fugly I think you said) etc and I start to wonder if you ever changed the oil.

As far as owning two at once. Avoid it at all cost. Rent if you have to between boats. You will have no way to know if both vessels in your fleet end up required huge repairs at once. The boat you haven't sold may require them upon survey of the new prospective owner. Rent is cheap by comparison.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook