SailNet Community - View Single Post - bilge pump system with mulitple bukheads???
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012

lupussonic is on a distinguished road
Re: bilge pump system with mulitple bukheads???

I can wire up myself, but would rather solve the problem with fewer pumps and a better piping/hose system. Also, if I have 4 electric pumps, one in each compartment, and one compartment floods entirely it could short out the whole batt system. I would rather have all batts, pumps and taps aft, in one place and to hand. Not a big fan of having lots of non-return valves if I can avoid it as they clog, and consequentely cease to function. One electric, one manual, and one engine pump should handle it from the aft compartment, keeping electric lines short and everything to hand.

The question is the hosing layout which will not allow water into a dry compartment if another one floods, or allow air to be sucked up from a dry compartment when the float switch activates in a wet one...........hmmmm.....
I am trying to build in ease of use and redundancy, without 6 pumps and 8 float switches which seems excessive for a 40 footer!

Actually, there will be 2 manuals, 2 electrics and one engine pump but the song remains the same.....how to hose them with watertight bulkheads and leave the boat safe in the knowledge that the float switches and hose layout will kick in satisfactorily....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook