SailNet Community - View Single Post - Barbecue etiquette
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Barbecue etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
We were tucked up in the anchorage in Deshaies, Guadeloupe, with a sundowner to hand when I suddenly noticed a floater in my G & T. Closer examination showed it to be a shred of burnt paper or something similar. A wider examination showed that the entire boat was covered by greasy shreds of burnt something or other. Yes the boat upwind was having a barbecue. I don't know what he was burning but we were getting the fallout.

What should be my next move?

If it makes any difference He anchored after I did.
Probably, the "rule" where the next boat (in this case the BBQ boat) should be the one to move would be correct.

On the other hand, I thought about what I would do in your situation and I think if there was room to move upwind of the BBQ boat, I'd end up moving to save the potential aggravation (while one of us swept the deck as we motored by). I'd confront the other boat only if there was no other place to go. But, that's just me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook