SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
boy Brian, if you run aground a lot down there with NO tide change, I do nto want to know how you would do up here in the northern climes with 12-15+ foot tide changes. I see 7.x-22.x' at my slip on extreme tide change days on the depth guage!

at the end of the day, one needs a keel that works for them, hull shape that works for them, hull strength for conditions they will meet etc. Not sure a hershoff(sp) 12.5 will make a good ocean going rig in many conditions, even tho designed by a known great architect, full keel etc. that open cockpit will probably kill it! if the light scantlings do not in the mean time.

Marty
Hey Marty,

The difference is that (for example) Dad has 22 feet under his keel at low tide. I generally have about six inches. We measure our water depth in inches under the keel down here! I generally anchor in about 7-10 feet of water. You have to get many miles offshore to even hit 20 feet of water! Anything over 6 and you simply will be very restricted on where you can go down here. I say, pick the keel for where you plan to cruise or how you intend to use the boat. In some areas, draft makes no difference. In some areas, it does.

BTW, hopefully we can meet up one of these days. Beautiful area.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook