SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB Antenna wire attachment to the backstay
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: SSB Antenna wire attachment to the backstay

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
Right now the wire is held onto the backstay by a hose clamp. What should I use, any links would be appreciated. Also the wire is a copper wire attached to the SS backstay. Short of replacing the wire is there anything I can do to prevent corrosion?
Bill Trayfors, an experienced cruiser and knowledgeable radio technician active on several sailing forums taught me that an effective connection can be made by attaching a ring-connector to the end of the cable between your antenna tuner and the back-stay with an appropriate heat shrink cover to seal the cable; passing a #12 or so bolt through the ring connector and fastening it in place with a couple of nuts tightened against the ring and then one another; bending the bolt 30 to 45 degrees roughly 1/4" to 1/2" past the ring connector/nuts; flattening the side of the bolt opposite the bend with a drummel tool; and, fastening the flattened side of the bolt against the back-stay with a couple of bull-dog wire clamps. Finish the connection with a couple of wraps of self-amalgamating tape (e.g. "Rescue Tape"). This makes for a sturdy, reliable, waterproof connection that will last for a very long time.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook