SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seasick & Singlehanding
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Seasick & Singlehanding

I agree with Rockdawg-- in general I don't get seasick singlehanding, but I ALWAYS carry drugs with me to stop it just in case. I have been so seasick that I didn't give a s*** what happened to the boat-- I'd have jumped overboard to end it all if I had the strength to climb out of the cockpit. Fortunately I can write my own prescriptions. As he noted, Phenergan (prescription only) works well but is very sedating.
Zofran (also prescription only), generic name ondansetron, works just as well but is virtually nonsedating. In addition to pills and injectable, it comes in a sublingual form (put it under your tongue and let it dissolve) that doesn't require you to swallow a pill and therefore can be effective even when you can't keep a pill down. This has become my mainstay drug for myself or passengers if needed. Ask your doctor for a prescription for it.
The preventive drugs are fine (meclinizine, etc, although they're all sedating) but having something along to stop seasickness once it develops is priceless.