SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wooden sailboat suggestions please
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Wooden sailboat suggestions please

Hi all.

This is purely hypothetical and purely fiction. Those of you who know me know my wife is a published fiction writer. One of her friends emailed her and asked for my help. The friend is writing a "romance novel" (ewww!) and in it the lady meets the boy, learns to sail, learns to race and wins the club year end, one race, PHRF (or whatever handicapping system you suggest). And they all live happily ever after.

So - she wants me to tell her what kind of sailboat this lady and her boyfriend win the race in??? She wants a wooden boat, with an motor, that two can handle, that can win a handicap club race. (See - I told you it was fiction).

She thought a "26-foot Penobscot Boat Works Lubec Sloop" would be nice. (what does she or I know about those????)

So, you arm chair quarterbacks, you wanna be Stephen Kings, you dreamers you, what do I tell her the boat should be? (links with pictures would really help)

(And be nice - I offered to help because I HATE fiction about sailing that is not accurate. Who in the right mind takes OFF their pfd and dives into the water to save someone and drowns - aka "Message in a Bottle")

Many thanks

Rik