SailNet Community - View Single Post - Passport Yachts
Thread: Passport Yachts
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguaretype
Labatt, did you buy Pelican. I saw the boat when I stopped by while attending the Annapolis Boat Show. My concerns were teak decks, electrical wiring, iron keel, and black iron fuel tanks.
We did a pseudo sea-trial yesterday. Unfortunately, it was blowing 30 with gusts to 38, the owner wasn't on board, and it didn't appear as if the reefing lines were fully run, so we didn't get to put the sails up We motored about a bit which let us test out a few odds and ends. The paid-for captain had sea trialed this boat once before so he was able to share a lot of information about his experiences. We decided we're going ahead and purchasing the boat.

A couple of points based upon people's comments. One, I found out the fuel tanks are actually fiberglass encased steel, not black iron. Also, the keel, while iron, was designed as an integrated portion of the hull mold (i.e. there are no keel bolts). The iron was sectioned, encapsulated in resin and then placed into the keel cavity. Theoretically speaking, according to our surveyor, there shouldn't be any rust or water issues.

The electrical wiring is in excellent shape and well laid out and marked. Wire gauge is correct for everything we could determine.

It's missing a few odds and ends that we'll be adding - a small propane heater, wind instruments, radar, rudder angle indicator and most importantly - an electric windlass since we will be hauling 250'-300' of chain or rode up when we anchor in Lake Champlain.

Should be fun!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook