SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets see your boat pets
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets see your boat pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Is it true that when a cat goes swimming in salt water one must rinse them in fresh water so the salt doesn't damage their kidneys? Not sure we are going to take our Siamese with
us.
I've heard this, but I don't believe it anymore. Cats in the wild hunt for fish in salt water, and occasionally fall in. I don't think they all died.

For the 6 years I had my first boat my cat Demon had her own cat door that was never locked. She came and went as she pleased, and she went overboard at least once a year. Problem was, because I was working 12-48hr ambulance shifts all the time, I don't actually know how often she went overboard. The once a year was only as often as I knew of because I was home.

Twice I took her into the shower and rinsed her off because of fear of salt ruined kidneys. Twice, I replaced my shower curtain (not a coincidence).

Now that I work in medicine I now know that salt DOES NOT harm the kidneys. Indirectly, high salt intake, over years, with untreated high blood pressure can harm the kidneys and heart, but salt in and of itself does not hurt the kidneys one bit. Since the kidneys are arguably THE most complex organ in the body you might have to just trust me on this one, but if you're a sucker for punishment and want to see how really, really, high concentrations of salt are actually essential for kidney fuction, just Google "loop of henle".

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook