SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB Antenna wire attachment to the backstay
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: SSB Antenna wire attachment to the backstay

Hi Eric --

You've been on my list of people I want to meet for a long time. I don't often disagree with you. I do here. It's tough to find a hose clamp that has a stainless steel bolt - most are mild steel so they corrode. Unless you are going to drill and safety wire vibration will loosen them. Maintenance over time generally means 'remove and replace' which isn't terribly expensive but is a pain and a waste.

Clearly you've had a good experience with hose clamps. I have not. Maybe you have sources for better kit than I do.

From an installer point of view, the hose clamp is attractive because you don't have to stock so many different sizes. I do have to keep a lot of different sizes of wire clamps to avoid extra (expensive) runs to hardware stores to buy (expensive) retail parts. I also like a heat-shrink/adhesive/crimped ring connector to the wire clamp. It means a few more cents to the customer but it makes me more confident in my work as I watch them sail off into the sunset (well - usually the sunrise here on the Chesapeake).
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook