SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB Antenna wire attachment to the backstay
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Re: SSB Antenna wire attachment to the backstay

Eric,

I usually agree with you, too, but in this case do not. Here's why.

I used your method for years, too, but found that the only way to inspect the connection was to take off all the tape and goo...a really messy and unpleasant undertaking, so rarely if ever done.

Maybe, if you did a really super job in the beginning, there'd be little need to inspect the connection, but if you didn't and if water gets in...even a bit...you risk crevice corrosion of the backstay itself. And, as you know, crevice corrosion in any standing rigging is a very bad thing!

With the wire clamp and ring-terminal thing, you don't need anything more. I don't tape my connections or "protect" them in any way, other than a bit of vaseline or other lubricant on the wire clamp. This way, the connection is always open to view, it's clean and tight, and can easily be inspected or replaced at any time.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

I, too, would sometime like to meet you after all these years. You seem to hide yourself pretty well in the bowels of the Naval Academy :-)

Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook