SailNet Community - View Single Post - Learning to Sail near Tampa
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012

Tl4814 is on a distinguished road
Learning to Sail near Tampa

Hello All!

I have been reading every thread possible trying find out as much about sailing as possible. I live near Tampa and want to learn to sail. I see there are a lot of schools and such that will teach you but unfortunately that all cost quite a bit. I currently do not have much in the way of disposable income as there is a little one(3yr old) in the house and all of the day to day bills. I know several threads have advised to find a local sailors who need a crew for a day or so trip. Unfortunately, I seem to continually strike out with those. I took sailing lesson as a kid and I have always had a passion for the water. Now that I am 27, I am looking to follow my dreams. I am looking for the basics before I buy something small to ride around the bay and maybe down the coast of Florida.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should be looking or should I just save up the money and take the sailing class? From what I've read a class or a book can only teach you so much. I am not looking to jump in a 20 ft boat with the pipe dream of living off the land/sea and cruise the world in it(though I don't see that completely unfeisable for the right person(not me)). Any and all suggestion or advise would be helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook