SailNet Community - View Single Post - Learning to Sail near Tampa
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-18-2012 Thread Starter
Tl4814

Learning to Sail near Tampa

Hello All!

I have been reading every thread possible trying find out as much about sailing as possible. I live near Tampa and want to learn to sail. I see there are a lot of schools and such that will teach you but unfortunately that all cost quite a bit. I currently do not have much in the way of disposable income as there is a little one(3yr old) in the house and all of the day to day bills. I know several threads have advised to find a local sailors who need a crew for a day or so trip. Unfortunately, I seem to continually strike out with those. I took sailing lesson as a kid and I have always had a passion for the water. Now that I am 27, I am looking to follow my dreams. I am looking for the basics before I buy something small to ride around the bay and maybe down the coast of Florida.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should be looking or should I just save up the money and take the sailing class? From what I've read a class or a book can only teach you so much. I am not looking to jump in a 20 ft boat with the pipe dream of living off the land/sea and cruise the world in it(though I don't see that completely unfeisable for the right person(not me)). Any and all suggestion or advise would be helpful.

Thanks!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome