SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB Antenna wire attachment to the backstay
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012

fairbank56 is on a distinguished road
Re: SSB Antenna wire attachment to the backstay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
It's tough to find a hose clamp that has a stainless steel bolt - most are mild steel so they corrode. Unless you are going to drill and safety wire vibration will loosen them.
There are cheap ones and good ones as with everything else. I use ones that are all stainless although it doesn't really matter with the way I weatherproof them. As you can see from the photo, no moisture gets in. That one had been going for years on a boat with multiple trips to New England ports. The tight weatherproofing also prevents any loosening of the clamp.

Quote:
the only way to inspect the connection was to take off all the tape and goo...a really messy and unpleasant undertaking, so rarely if ever done.
As you can see in the photo, no mess. A simple quick longitudinal cut with a razor knife and you just peel it off. It's worked for me for years for this and various coaxial connections. There's never been a gooey mess when removing it.

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook