SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello from Virginia (NOVA)!
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Hello from Virginia (NOVA)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindark View Post
When I make the leap to buy, I will probably look to keep it near Woodbridge. I will start looking at the other Marinas when the need arises. If I get dumb/brave enough to attempt to liveaboard, it seems like it may be very hard to find a place that will allow that on the VA side so I may end up in MD.

Of course I want a 40+ sized boat! I do not want to get something that I will immediately want to replace but I know I have a long way to go! So far the ones I like that are less than 40 are the Hunter 34, Tartan 34, Catalina 30 and Pearson 30. In about a year I am expecting my budget to be around 50K. My thoughts were to look for something in the 20-30K range and set aside the rest for those “major” repairs/upgrades that may pop up. If a really good deal presented it self between now and then I might have to jump on it.

Thanks for the input Chuck!
I'll join the chorus opining the upper Potomac is is not a great place to keep a 30+ foot sailboat when another 30 minutes of driving will have your on the western shore of the bay with literally countless anchorages and dozens of great towns your boat can carry you to. Sailing from Occoquan would be sailing in a bathtub by comparison.

Leave the the upper Potomac for the Searay crowd and come sail the Chesapeake. If you have to be on the Potomac there are nice marina's on both the MD and VA shores near the mouth and close to the Bay, but there are also pleny of closer marina's from Solomon's to Annapolis.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook