SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thinking of buying a new boat
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012

Romario is on a distinguished road
Thinking of buying a new boat

Me, my gf and another couple are thinking about buying a boat. That would be the first boat for all of us, so we don't have too much experience. We will be sharing, sometimes it will be us and them, sometimes just me & gf or other friends.
We are in New York, the boat will be on Long Island mainly and used for weekend trips. We were thinking about something around 30ft.

Here is one of the boats we looked at (O'Day 30, $12900):
http://sellyourboatnow.shutterfly.com/7077

Is it an ok boat to buy? I know O'Days are no longer made, would that be a problem? How is the price? How does it look from the pics? We would hire someone to inspect it, but I just want to know an opinion if it's worth hiring someone.

Also - what would the expenses be like? We want to find a marina somewhere at the end of Long Island, NY - Sag Harbor area or around there. But nothing fancy, minimal accommodations will do - as long as we have electricity and water. We were thinking that it would run us approximately 9k a year total (marina, insurance, repairs). Is this a fair assessment?

Another thing - we don't have too much experience sailing (I sailed 5 times or so, but not by myself), what would be the best way to start?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook