SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just bought ODay 28, a couple of questions
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Just bought ODay 28, a couple of questions

congrats!

1. The Jib cars for the Jib sheets seem strangely placed. They are very long, with the car rail running from near the back all the way to the front of the cockpit.

They are long so you can use more then a few sizes of head sails. from a jib to 200% genoa even. plus you can slide them forward or aft to improve the shape of the headsails.

The lifelines seem all in the way of where the sheet wants to go. Whether you have the sheet over the top, in between - as you tack, beat and run, the sheets are always pressing against a lifeline or stanchion.

Yes, the sheets will lay across the lifeline if your not close hauled, you can drop the top lifeline or run the sheets outside the lifeline but then it's a hassel bringing em back. I guess you could set up a barber haul but that's more lines then I'd care to have lying about. Yankee cut headsails are kinder to the lifelines

2. The boat has wheel pedestal steering. You can't get to the main sheet with out stepping round the pedestal. I assume there is no way around this? You need to 2 man it or lock the wheel for a moment to adjust trim?

they work for the traveler lines too!

I use yacht braid for the sheets and just toss it around and use a cam cleat to set the genoa, then if the wind is up I have to lean foward on the seat and use the winch. It's a poor location but you will eventually get used it

Hope this helps!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 05-19-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook