SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboards and Dockage in General for Baby boomers
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006

Allen Lofland is on a distinguished road
Time Warp

Ijust simply stumbled on this thread a few minutes ago, First impression, is this guy crazy or what, is he not talking about the St Pete I just left in the dust since as a live a board ( I mean Full time cruiser ) I was told get lost...5 year waiting list at the municipal and no liv a boards at most marina's and no vacancies if allowed was the story after months of searching...as for regatta point and dolphin,,look at their rates wow I wanted to rent not buy
So we have searched high and low, up and down and finally found Pensacola, well we have a slip but its just as expensive as South West Florida and it has fewer facialities,,,no whyfly can you beleive no phone, no cable, no no no its just hey you want what for 12 dollars a foot ???
Yes the orignal post was interesting as the problem has just gotten worse not better.
The dream of purchasing a larger boat and spending some serious time aboard for a while is just not working out any more, Its not just the cost, it's a matter of Politically correst attitudes and incorrect images that the Liva a board life style has brought on its self.
We have been treated as poor trailer trash most places and I say that full knowing that a trailer in South West Florida would cost more than my boat I am afraid that sooner not later, the sale of boats will start to show this decline if not already and the much ignored Marine industry of Florida will start to feel the pich, maybe then some one will say. Hey What's wrong with an old guy and his wife buying a boat and sailing around Florida for a while, isnt it good for our economy and they will say, yep and that why the RV'er all left Florida and went to Arizona.
Wake up Florida, your missen the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook