SailNet Community - View Single Post - Planning to sail down to Charleston for good - seeking advice
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012

snider is on a distinguished road
Re: Planning to sail down to Charleston for good - seeking advice

I like the maritime center but will only dock there if I can get on the pier that runs perpendicular to the shore. I used to work on a tall ship that's berthed their and I saw many boats damaged from the wake of comercial traffic. You get the reflection of waves from the shore that can create very large waves in the marina. It's not often here, but if you get NE winds it can get pretty rough. I'd go for the City Marina, Cooper River Marina is the cheapest but it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. There's an anchorage just off the City Marina docks that has good holding, just don't go under the bridge to anchor, it turns to clay, there are a few moorings on the other side. St Johns Yacht Harbor is a few miles from town so you'd need a car. I haven't been there since it was taken private. There is a Marina in Folly beach that is pretty neat, and with a bike you could go to the downtown area, however it can be tricky to get to. It's pretty cheap. There are a few more options but personally I'd anchor out or use the City Marina. The Maritime Center and Cooper River have a 30 day limit on transients, last time I checked. Have fun!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook