SailNet Community - View Single Post - Live Aboard, how do you keep the kids from drowning?
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006

Balegane is on a distinguished road
We live onboard with our 2 sons now aged 3 and 4, we moved onto the boat when they were 1 and 2. The advice given you is all sound. The trick we found is to start them swimming at the earliest stage. In Australia we started ours in the water as babies. The oldest now 4 loves to snorkel and I take him to about 4-5 feet on the octapus of my scuba. The yougest one is not as competent and has fallen in twice, this was a heart pounding moment for us but he learnt respect for the water from the incident. As a parent you will soon realise your sense of sound is accute to the tiniest splash. One of the first things I did with our boat a 42' is put new railing around with a solid cap rail and mesh. I also have a mesh barrier about 4 feet from the bow so the cannot get to wndlass, anchor lines etc. now. The only gate is on the stern which also has mesh on it and a serious childproof lock. Goodluck you and your children will be greatly rewarded by the experience.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook