SailNet Community - View Single Post - Building a New battery system, need ALOT of help
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Building a New battery system, need ALOT of help

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolasailor View Post
ahhh,,, i see says the blind man,,, thanks for all your help,,,, in this small fortune i am getten ready to drop, do you think i should invest in a volt meter,, battery read out,,, if so any reconmendations....and is leaving a charger hooked up at all times recomended.. Only take the boat out for 3 or 4 hrs at a time,,, 2 or 3 times a week, mostly weekends... the only 12 volt load at dock would be the bilge pump.... thanks again
A good battery monitor like the Victron BMV-600 should be the FIRST money you spend in any battery/charging system upgrade. I usually recommend this to be installed at least a month before the rest of the system is decided upon so you can gather actual usage and charging data before making a "shoot from the hip"/"kick the tires" decision..

I see people chronically under design and chronically over design systems because they had no idea what was/is really going on. The money spent on a good battery monitor is usually free, in the long run. Get one, two three or four extra years out of an expensive battery bank or buy the right alternator vs. the wrong one for the application and the cost of the monitor is negligible to free..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook