SailNet Community - View Single Post - Food Suggestions
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Food Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Canned foods for and against:

Pro: Open can(s), remove label, sit cans in a pan in an inch of water, cover and heat. Eat out of the can(s), use clean hot water in the pan for washing up. Quick and easy for single hander. Washed cans make good baking pans for muffins, small cakes and until they rust are good for sorting, saving parts when you're disassembling something. Convenient, no waste, easy to fit into provisioning plan. Fully cooked. Require little fuel and, in a pinch, can be eaten cold.
Con: most are all-around nutritional duds and most contain too much salt. Cans rust and, if wet, lose labels. Use grease pencils to label; coat with goo such as Compound L. Messy. If they have aluminum pull-tops a drop of salt water can break the seal. Most new cans open on one end, which means you cannot remove both ends and stomp to flatten. Bulky to stow when full or empty. Ready-to-eat soups easy but you're carrying a lot of water in space that could be used for food.
We would often take off labels, mark with a permanent marker the contents, the paint with varnish. It was not my idea. I got it from a book somewhere along the way (I think it was Life Afloat, but not sure).

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook