SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replace Diesel Fuel Regularly
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Replace Diesel Fuel Regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordofloats View Post
Absolutely! Great advice!
I was pulling my hair out trying to solve my fuel line issues - new primary/secondary filters, manually cleaning hoses and injectors, my Yanmar 3GMF kept quitting in rough weather. Finally, after getting a tip here (it might have been from you, Stu) I checked the intake hose - sure enough, the little screen at the end was clogged with goop and any time rough water stirred up more gunk it stopped up completely. Out with the screen! Tried to get a fuel polish - not a single mechanic in Toronto would touch it. So I got a plastic bin big enough to hold my fuel, took out my oil-change pump and attached a spare secondary-fuel-filter-element and pumped the whole tank into the bin - not a terribly fun job. Removed about 1/2 litre of water as well as the ooze that grows at the interface between diesel and water. Cleaned the inside of the tank with a rag-on-a-wire and filtered the diesel back into the tank. I was completely soaked and stank for a week, but since then I've kept the tank topped up, added stabilizer every season and I haven't had a drop of water show up in my separator or had fuel issues of any kind. I keep the intake screen and the dried up blob as souvenirs of some dicey engine failures.

Pull your screens! You'll be glad you did.
Good advice. Is your oil change pump rated for diesel fuel. I used a drill pump and later found it should not be used for fuel. Drills create sparks which could ingnite fuel vapors. It sounds like you were covered with fuel, so take care.
Regards
Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook